We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

27.7.19

I Miss the Best Bits, Though

















I Miss the Best Bits, Though


as the bus careens downhill 
somewhere between Inverell and Grafton, 
quicker than my camera can click –
a tree with a bulbous trunk
as if it grew in the outback;
a bare, domed rock half the height
of the tree it stands beside;
a sudden bank of crags.

We have time to see, though I don’t snap,
the wallaby bodies beside the road. It’s not
that car drivers hit them, so much as they
who hit the cars – ancient beings without
road sense not needed when
this continent and its creatures formed.

Now we move very slowly
between thick banks of spindly trees
on a one-vehicle-wide descent.
It’s long. Police let a line of cars, 
going north or south, traverse in turn.
We crawl, then finally gather speed.
I miss a startling gully, deep, amongst
the surrounding trees on level ground.

                    ************

Later, back home, I discard
lots of blurry shots. I notice I haven’t kept any
showing a river shrunk to mud puddles
after the years of drought. I wanted
viewers to see and know – but after all
my quick snaps couldn’t convey the worst.

I live in a green part of Australia.
In just a few days, more showers are forecast.
The view from my window here is far
from that recent bus trip. Even there – 
past the dusty brown paddocks – trees
tangle together, covering distant hills.
Hard to credit how farmers live in despair
for themselves, their crops, their stock.

Are we still ‘The Lucky Country’? Yes of course. 
But some are luckier than others. And 
it was always thus. The land enchants,
entices us. The ancient land, like its creatures,
has not learned the ways of civilisation: 
mother and killer…. Look at my pretty pictures.














Shared with Poets United's Poetry Pantry #488.

24 comments:

  1. I love the photos which make me really feel the poem. How the land is struggling under drought...how the poor wallabies get hit..........we have a road like the one in your poem where one lane of traffic at a time is allowed through..........loved this poem and the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the poem and the photos. I do wish you would have had more photos. It does sound like a very picturesque ride. Sad about the wallabies though. The river being shrunk to mud puddles is alarming. Such despair for the poor farmers who experience drought year after year and continue to try to survive. I am thinking about the 'lucky country' and wonder which country in 2019 is lucky. I think history books will record this time eventually as the beginning of the fall of humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did post some more photos to my facebook profile. We have always regarded ourselves as the lucky country but I think less and less so as time goes on. And there have always been people for whom it is far from lucky. I have had that same thought about this being the beginning of our end – and no-one left to read the history books.

      Delete
  3. The lucky and unlucky exist everywhere I think. In all species. It's sobering when it jumps out at us though--we can spend so much time ignoring it.
    That's a beautiful sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have great skies in Australia (smile) and we celebrate our 'winter sun'.

      Delete
    2. Wonderful poem and photographs - i love how you connect with the trees

      Delete
  4. I love how your words take us into the trip. The speaker sounds like a tour guide who loves the land and her job, someone who delight in sharing the gorgeous while also pointing out the bits that have been hurt. I enjoyed the balance of the poem, particularly the end... which feels like a (necessary and welcomed) smack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ancient beings without
    road sense not needed when
    this continent and its creatures formed... goodness ..that is heartbreaking. Luck is definitely not fairly distributed...but if one chooses to believe in it.. karma has a way of squaring things up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing photos, Rosemary, and I enjoyed the bus ride, which was much more picturesque than the one from the park-and-ride into town yesterday – although a change is as good as a rest. I love the tree with a bulbous back! But how sad to see wallaby bodies beside the road.
    What I admire about this poem is the way you have turned the blurry shots into another journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is not unusual to suffer droughts in Australia but the problem is water is being taken from our river systems by mining activities that reduce river flow and much of the continent is affected. Sadly our governments are foolishly thinking of short term gain for themselves rather that of the whole nation. Luckily we have had some rain in South Australia but the River Murray/Darling system is in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the most humbling things is for those of us who know we are lucky, coming face to face with situations where people just didn't have the same good fortune we did. So much less time could be wasted, so much heartache could be alleviated if stopped seeing those situations as other things that happened to other people and start remembering that we're on this place called Earth together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is incredibly evocative, Rosemary 💖 It's true that some are luckier than others.. but I feel that if people dwell more upon problems and despair then hope eventually withers and dies. I understand the problems which the farmers face and my heart goes out to them 😥 those who are luckier sometimes fail to appreciate the fact. But then again that's life .. it's a strange world we live in where trials and tribulations await on every step.

    I absolutely adore that sky!!! 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even photos taken "on the run," can transport us back to journeys worth remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the poem and the photos... there's something about those almost-too-blurry shots that catches my eye. And I was struck by the road sense--do we have that same sense of them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quietly provocative. A journey to the heart of being a "civilized" creature. I enjoyed the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always wanted to go to Australia and you've given me a lovely glimpse. Thank you Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed your posts on FB. I enjoyed this poem as well. It sounded like a personal tour you were giving me. I watched a National Geo special about the roos and wallabies getting hit on the road and the way they also injured humans bicycling by the incredible bounds. Such a beautiful sky overhead. I love the endless blue of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful read. You did a really fantastic job here, of intermingling travel (which, at least for me, always connotes a process of unfolding change amid glimpses of the familiar) and pinned that to observations about your country. I enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My oldest daughter went to Australia a couple of years a go. Your poem makes me even more jealous I have never been there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. and may the ancient land remain this way, not learning the ways of civilisation. :)
    i really enjoyed this poem, as if i am on the bus ride itself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed the words and the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a wondrous guide with a sobering message juxtaposed against itself.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!