We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

13.7.19

Funny ...


Funny …

The Duo-rhyme is humorous.
At any rate, it suits light verse.
It has a twinkle in its eye.
You chuckle, and you say, ‘O my!’
It does not tower up on high,
so lofty it might reach the sky,
but plays down here with you and I –
would rather make you laugh than cry.
You say it can be serious?
Surely nothing could be worse!


13 July 2019
I found this tucked away in my 'recent writings' files, 
dated 7 June – only five-and-a-bit weeks ago and already forgotten. I don't recall, either, where I found instructions for the Duo-rhyme (though I have now located some at Shadow Poetry) but evidently I tried one for fun and immediately dismissed it as a piece of nonsense. Now I've come across it again, I think it's a fun bit of nonsense, worth posting.

23 Jan 2021
Worth sharing too, I trust, for a light-hearted mood in this hopeful new year. Linking to Writers' Pantry #54: New Dawn at Poets and Storytellers United.

18 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the journey of this poem, Rosemary. The couplets and language combine to make it light-hearted and fun. You made me smile this freezing cold morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is often profitable to look up some pieces from long ago finding they are worth a second showing. Clearly that is the case here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing could be worse indeed.
    Let humour light our days.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this poem here;
    it makes me laugh; make me cheer

    This poem is just tons of fun
    oh, please, please, please...another one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's certainly worth sharing, a chuckle for the day and a year that is looking good.
    sometimes a 'lost' poem is found, and we goes like 'hey, this fellow is not so bad'...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely post-worthy! A delight ......

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy things that rhyme so this was fun, plus, someone who would rather make you laugh than cry should always be a welcome presence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore a regular dose of fun nonsense. And this was a delightful bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not sure what a duo rhyme is, but this made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a poem with that twinkle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An interesting rhyming rhythm, and you managed it with humor. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this, it brings a smile to my face :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anything that promotes a laugh--or that reminds us that we aren't alone, since I've come across more than one piece I have totally forgotten--is worth sharing. So, gracias very mucho!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for unearthing and sharing this Rosemary... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This form is new to me. Enjoyed your poem

    Happy Sunday

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  16. 'You say it can be serious? Surely nothing could be worse!' - lovely lines, reminds me of the Stephen Hawking quote 'Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.' Enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!