We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

3.7.19

What Makes Me Laugh


I'm joining in the July P.E.O.D. Chapbook Memoir Challenge at Poetic Bloomings. This (a bit late!) is for July 1st: Laugh, Laugh.

What Makes Me Laugh?

My funnybone gets ticklish
at the ridiculous
plus anything quirky
(and that’s no malarkey). 

A shaggy dog story
also does it for me.
But slapstick or farce –
sorry, I’ll pass.

Adore Rowan Atkinson,
loathe Mr Bean;
I prefer the badder
wit of Blackadder.

Love me a Goon,
also a Python.
I relish the movies of PJ Hogan,
while Kath and Kim are wickedly Bogan.

The amazing Chris Lilley
is brilliant, not silly.
But the absolute kingpin
is Mr Tim Minchin.

See, it’s the satirical
gets me hysterical!

2 comments:

  1. Find myself, totally agreeing with you, Rosemary, when it comes to humour. Sadly, it appears, we're in the minority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that most people don't 'get' satire, whereas it totally cracks me up.
      (I was wondering if I should have apologised for all the Aussie references, but evidently you understood well enough even if you didn't know them all.)

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!