We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

3.3.21

The Mind At Play

The Mind At Play




On a haiku site I discover enso. One poet uses them alongside her verses. Intrigued, I google.


I come away with the idea that an enso is both a figure in Japanese calligraphy and a way of Zen meditation.

One draws a circle freehand, open or closed, a continuous line (sometimes two). I understand it encompasses everything. Also it's the void.


This practice is not a striving for the perfect circle. (Nor is it done thoughtlessly.) Each is valid in itself. It’s an exploration of inner space.


Excited – all Western impatience, no in-depth research I dive right in, thrilled with the idea of meditation by doing. 


Though I don’t dare think I’m an artist, I sometimes draw, just for me.


I grab sketch-book, brushes, water-colours (not ink) and draw an enso a day: each one a different colour. After I’ve been through all colours, I resolve, I’ll repeat in different media. 


Poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti, founder of City Lights bookshop – hugely important in the history of literature – dies aged 101. I write a three-line tribute.


I want to post this on Instagram. Instagram is a visual medium. I try to make micropoems I post there look as good as I can, but this time I take things further. I print the text, cut it out, and paste it in the centre of my latest enso. 


I photograph the result, run the photo through filters on my iPhone, then edit it for vibrance, clarity, saturation…. 





‘Beautiful tribute,’ someone comments, ‘– art and words.’


My friend – a real, marvellous artist – has a birthday. A mystical four-line poem comes to me. I realise it’s a portrait of her. I put that inside an enso too. (I try handwriting this one at first, but my writing doesn’t please my eye.)


I take a photo, manipulate it as before, print it, label it a portrait of her, and laminate it.





When I give it to her, her eyes widen, she gasps and holds it to her heart a moment.


I toy with the idea of a different shape that I might use around a poem. I think I will, perhaps very soon. Also, I won’t stop drawing my meditative daily enso. 




369 words written in response to Weekly Scribblings #59 at Poets and Storytellers United, and specifically inspired by a line from the musical Hamilton: 'I'm looking for a mind at work'. I don't know much about that musical, but my mind has been working on something new lately, as described above. Then I recollected that art is not work but play. 

Note:
My artist friend is also an amazing gardener.


Images
1. 
Ensō (c. 2000) by Kanjuro Shibata XX. Available for use via Creative Commons CC BY-SA 3.0

2 and 3 © Rosemary Nissen-Wade 2021.


20 comments:

  1. I’ve seen enso, too, and didn’t know what they meant. Thank you for the thoughtful exploration and explanation, Rosemary. What I like about the concept is that it is not striving for the perfect circle. I am not a fan of perfection; imperfections are valid and add to the uniqueness of an idea, an object, a piece of writing, a work of art. I admire the way you have adopted the concept and made it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How inventive you are Rosemary. Gardens have quite a gift for us in our minds don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas I am no gardener but I do enjoy other people's.

      Delete
  3. Have fun with your enso creations

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've discussed enso in tea lessons. LOL, you can't learn Japanese tea ceremony without exposure to other arts, and since many tea gathering often display calligraphy scroll, we get to learn a little about that art. I took a couple of introductory lessons, but I do need a lot of practice. These came out cool, Rosemary, and I love how you've combined them with your word art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the start of a lot of fun in combining words with drawn lines.

      Delete
  5. This is very intriguing. When I look at your art, the phrase "zeroing in on the subject" came to mind. It's a visual of just that, and I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. I'd never heard of enso. I love the garden being light, and light being the garden. I'm big on my garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The friend I wrote those words for is very big on hers, too.

      Delete
  7. This is fascinating .... I learned much from your prose today. What a lucky friend to have you in her life. I love how she held your art to her heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I am also lucky to have her in my life; she is always giving.

      Delete
  8. How fascinating to keep each circle and look at them again at the end of the year in order... Very interesting and the poem obviously meant a lot to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It meant a lot to me that she responded that way.

      Delete
  9. This surely keeps you out of monkey business for a while doesn't it. What would mine look like, here is a photo of Mrs. Jim feeding a roo and then another of the both of us? I have lost 10-12 pounds since the picture so my face is thinner now.
    My age is 80+ pounds, Mrs. Jim is now lacking a couple of years for the big 8 0 , as the picture was taken in 2013. I will answer questions if you need for inside info shine.
    http://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/2021/02/letter-i-weekend-roundup-and-reflections.html
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. I enjoyed seeing your photos. So glad to know you visited Tassie.

      Delete
  10. I have read about enso, and you are using it in a beautifully creative way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm not at all sure I am doing it right, but I am enjoying it. And maybe there isn't a right or wrong way – I hope.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!