We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

16.3.21

The New Relationship

The New Relationship


My girlfriend is presently sleeping –

my new girlfriend, who only moved in

four days ago – lying on her side,

one paw tucked under her head.


She senses I’m writing about her, feels

my attention, my focus; opens one lazy eye

at me, closes it again next moment

and hunkers comfortably down.


I give thanks that this new relationship

embarked on with hope and trepidation

is already going so smoothly. I offer up

silent, fervent prayers of deep relief.


The first two days went well. Yesterday

she went off her food, prowled the house

searching, I’m certain, for someone 

who won’t be back: her favourite person


mutually adored. He wouldn’t have left her

if he’d had any choice. He scooped her up,

tiny in his great hands, for a quick 

last cuddle and kiss. ‘Take care of her for me.’


‘I’ll do my best,’ I said. ‘I promise.’

Last night I gave her soothing Reiki

and told her too, telepathically,

I’d do my very best. This morning


for the first time I lifted her up myself

in a shoulder hug, crooning my love

into her nine-year-old deaf ears that can still

feel vibrations. I saw she’d eaten hearty.


It’s different (I found out last time)

when you don’t raise them from kittens.

Not your fur-child but your house-mate –

or so it was with regal Selene.


My last girlfriend started difficult,

progressed to stand-offish, always 

had boundaries even when we arrived

at fiercely intense mutual devotion.


I never thought I’d get over her.

But two years later – years of grief –

a hint of loneliness arose, coinciding

perfectly with someone else’s need.


Living entirely for oneself, that freedom

eventually palls.  My new girlfriend

curls on her blanket, ears still alert,

willing to explore our new adventure.























A retelling in verse of the tale I told in prose a few days ago.


Shared (five days later) with Poets and Storytellers United's Writers' Pantry #62.

27 comments:

  1. Adorable... one gets lost and found again between you and your girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats certainly are not as subservient as dogs but consider themselves to be on an equal footing or better than their human providers. We had a cat once that insisted on laying closest to the radiator despite their fur being singed in the process!

      Delete
    2. Ha ha, I've had cats that lay almost close enough to get singed.

      Delete
  2. I bet Selene is super happy that you aren't all by your lonesome. We never want the ones we love to be alone. So, her former bestie and Selene are probably smiling the same smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure! Like a arranged marriage with someone you end up loving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, quite like that. In this case Poppi and I liked each other pretty well before we tied the knot.

      Delete
  4. Selene will be watching, happy that you have Poppi’s love and companionship, Rosemary. I love how you call her ‘girlfriend’. All cats love us writing about them, too, but they never let on! Taking on an adult cat, particularly a deaf one, can’t be easy, but it is more than rewarding when they respond to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deafness hasn't proved much of a problem. I can't call her, of course – not and be heard – but I haven't really needed to. There's nothing wrong with her eyesight or sense of smell. It does mean she must be kept indoors, but she's used to that.

      Delete
  5. Another cat. i now you love cats. Happy you have anew companion/pet
    Happy Sunday. Stay Safe


    (✿◠‿◠)

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're both lucky. I bet if she could write poetry, she'd write excellent poetry, if it were anything like this poetry, which is outstanding. Well done, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are both lucky, I know.

      Delete
    2. I love hearing about your new roommate! We have two cats who allow us to live with them. I call them the lady and the tramp. The tramp is a needy orange tabby who is always underfoot, lying exactly in what he deems to be your path, seeking a belly rub and positive strokes. The lady goes daintily about her business, stopping by occasionally for a head rub. Life would be dull without them.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I am so glad I became ready to embark on this new relationship.

      I love the sound of your two – so perfectly named!

      Delete
  7. cats love poetry, and especially if it is about them. :)
    i think Selene will find you a great friend, as you will find her too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selene was my previous great friend. The new one is Poppi. I have decided her full name must be Poppi Cuddlepuss!

      Delete
  8. I'm so happy the two of you found each other! It is wonderful to have a furry companion in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've embarked on a new adventure. May every day of it be filled with wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully told, this poem about your new girlfriend/housemate. So glad you have her in your life and how thankful her previous person must be, knowing how much she will be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her previous human family of three are all very glad, relieved and grateful – and I am so grateful to have received this gift.

      Delete
  11. Your mention of Selene took me to your happy days with her. With Poppi I can see a new & beautiful story unfolding slowly. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!