We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

4.4.22

Cocoon

For the April 'poem a day' challenge this year, I'm writing haibun to explore and reflect on my new Tarot deck, Forests of Enchantment. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~ 


The Empress card is the Mother – earth mother or Mother Earth, take your pick. Both are true.


In the Enchanted Forest she is Green Mother, dressed in leaves, tattooed with flowers, flowing-haired. 


I like to see the attentive rabbit at her feet – my Chinese astrology sign.


I never saw myself as very maternal. I didn’t conform to stereotype. Only in my old age I laugh to realise how much Mother I really am. I drew into my life not only my birth children but also foster-children, stepchildren, various younger women who want to adopt me into that role, students to whom I become mentor…. Then there are all the pets. Wonderful dogs, beautiful cats. 


I find I have a need to be taking care of a loved one. In recent years they have been cats. My sense of responsibility towards them is conscientious and fierce. Also very tender. 


I have a deep need to give love.


autumn night –

my cat snuggles close 

purring

 

 


 









No comments:

Post a Comment

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!