We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

6.4.22

True Love

For the April 'poem a day' challenge this year, I'm writing haibun to explore and reflect on my new Tarot deck, Forests of Enchantment. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~



These lovers rest under a tree in the Greenwood, their bows and quivers of arrows nearby, able to be grasped if needed but set aside for this moment. 


In some decks the Lovers card represents union, one which is divinely blessed. In others it speaks of the necessity to make a choice, a choice between material riches and the true desires of the soul. In this deck, both meanings apply. These are outlaws from society, the book tells us, who have chosen that lifestyle – and they are soul mates. 


They look happy as well as free.


Perhaps they are part of Robin Hood’s band? Perhaps they are indeed Robin and Marian.  Being the stuff of legend means they and their love are eternal.


‘Love forever’ I wrote to a man years ago. He replied:


‘Forever is a long time to love. How about – 

Love, as long as you’re still the person you are today?’


Did he suggest that he or I might alter? Or both? I can’t enquire. He died not long after writing that. 


Am I still the person I was then? No, of course not. 


And yes, of course, in my deepest soul I am.


I do know by now that love, when it’s real, is forever.


alone now

I look at the trees

for both of us









No comments:

Post a Comment

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!