We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

17.4.22

Learning from Mistakes

For the April 'poem a day' challenge this year, I'm writing haibun to explore and reflect on my new Tarot deck, Forests of Enchantment. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~



At first glance this seems a gentle version of the usually dramatic Tower card. Then I notice the broken top of the tree and the crowd of disturbed birds spiralling up, and realise the apparent gentleness is more a matter of the subdued colours. 


It’s still not as horrifying as the traditional image of people falling to their deaths. When a client gets The Tower, I always  reassure them that it points to an apparent catastrophe, which is really a blessing in disguise. 


‘Heavily disguised,’ I tell them, ‘and dramatic – you won’t miss it. At first you’ll be going, “Oh my God, how am I ever going to get through this?” Down the track, you’ll be saying,”Thank you, God. Best thing that could have happened.” Remember what I’m saying, because when it hits it will not look or feel like the best thing!’


I tell them this with confidence because when I have read this card for people who are in my life, so I can find out later if my reading was accurate – or for myself – it holds good every time. The apparent disaster breaks down old, rigid structures we have built up, to clear the way for positive new energy to come in.


In this deck the author has woven a fable about a rich man deciding to hollow out a great tree to build himself a folly, disregarding advice that the tree would not stand the strain. Sure enough, it dies from the inside and the slender top cracks and falls. This, we are told, ‘signifies the ending of indulgent and worthless vanities.’ Finally, a question is posed: ‘What folly needs to be destroyed so that the true and the beautiful can return?’ The birds in the image are rooks. The collective noun for them, we are reminded, is ‘a building of rooks’ – carrying, here, the suggestion of rebuilding.


As we have often heard, when you’re so far down that you’ve hit rock bottom, the only way is up.

Just don’t repeat the same mistakes! 


after fire and flood

the community rebuilds –

and moves back in






I'm sharing this, many months after writing it, with Poets and Storytellers United, for my own prompt at Friday Writings #92: Triumph or Disaster?  The Tower card in the Tarot epitomises both!




18 comments:

  1. Fascinating. Am thinking now of what past debacle was actually a stroke of luck... I think it would be quitting my job on an impulse. No matter the criticism and consequences, I think poetry came out of that space and for that I am both happy and grateful. That made my morning!!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Yes, as I said in my P&SU post, it can take hindsight to discern that. It sounds as if there was also courage ivolved in what you did! It wasn't something that just happened to you; you chose it, and it was others who saw it as disastrous. Evidently a wise choice, being true to yourself and following your intuition.

      Delete
  2. A spectacular Haibun, Rosemary. This line spoke to me with a loud voice ~ "to clear the way for positive new energy to come in" .. so important to keep the pathway clear of clutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! (And oh boy, don't we have to keep reminding ourselves?!)

      Delete
  3. As they say, "It's in the cards." Now to be able to understand their meanings.
    I like your Senyru, it is generally true. We'll all be watching Maui. It and the Ukraine were both very pretty, I hope they will rebuild.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so many sad and troubling things happening in our world of late. It can be hard to remember that 'this too shall pass' – but they don't pass without a cost to those directly involved.

      Delete
  4. Good thoughts! So may it be for Maui...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes - I have more than a passing acquaintance with Tarot cards, and couldn't agree more with your interpretation of the one shown here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can only rebuild and move on. Much as poets and writers must do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much hope in moving back in. I don't think I've ever got the tower card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people mistake it for disaster. It is that, but that's only half the story.

      Delete
  8. I found this fascinating, Rosemary. I love the significance of the tree.
    I never had a reading of any sort. Now I am tempted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you find a reader who has a good reputation among their other clients, for consistent accuracy and useful advice.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!