We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

25.4.22

Sharp

For the April 'poem a day' challenge this year, I'm writing haibun to explore and reflect on my new Tarot deck, Forests of Enchantment. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~


Ace of Challenges is this deck’s Ace of Swords. It makes sense. Fighting some battle or getting out of difficulty often shows up in Swords cards. A sword is a weapon, after all. But this suit is also seen as representing the mind or intellect. The Ace is where it’s keenest.


In a reading I might interpret this card (depending how it was placed) as a new beginning in mental brilliance.


The Golden Dawn mob saw it as ‘invoked force’ – suggesting deliberate, purposeful use of magic, e.g. spell casting. (I guess picking up a weapon is also a way to invoke force!)


The ‘enchanted ally’ is white raven, a bird of ‘fabled intelligence’ who excels in ‘strategic communication’, knowing when to speak, when stay silent. Even better, we’re advised to call on him when we want the truth. Truth isn’t always palatable, but I’ve found it’s always better to know it than not. 


White raven’s gift, or magical tool, is not a sword but another sharp, piercing weapon: ‘a silver arrow that never misses its mark’. Using it requires focus and ethical intention. ‘If your aim is true you cannot fail.’ There’s a promise that firing this arrow ‘straight into the heart releases all evil from an adversary’ – which ‘can be done on the etheric plane as well’.


Adversarial magic’s tricky. Most serious magical practitioners take very seriously indeed the injunction, ‘Do as you will so long as it harms none’, plus understanding that whatever energy we put out comes back to us multiplied. Then there are questions of self-defence, and/or the defence of others.


I’d rather prevent an enemy from doing harm, if possible, than harm them – which might be easier on the etheric than the worldly plane! On either plane, perhaps the ability to think well is a more effective as well as safer weapon than something aggressive – for all concerned. 


As a young woman, I once talked myself out of a potential date-rape. That conversation felt like duelling! My brain, on high alert, operated coolly despite my fear. I doubt that a physical fight could have succeeded.


child me wanted

to be Robin Hood – not

Maid Marian














  







No comments:

Post a Comment

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!