We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

18.4.22

Night Light

For the April 'poem a day' challenge this year, I'm writing haibun to explore and reflect on my new Tarot deck, Forests of Enchantment. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~



The Moon – here called Moonlight and presented as full of magic – is one of my life cards, i.e. indicating my life path. 

Traditionally this card comes with a warning not to be deceived, by oneself or others. It’s best to stay on the path directly lit by the moon, not stray into the darkness at the sides. Moonlight can both illuminate and distort. 


It is the card of dreams, the subconscious, imagination, intuition, inspiration. The Moon is often shown on the card of the Priestess as her inspiration – perhaps representing the Deity she communes with. The Tarot doesn’t say so directly, but many cultures and religions have viewed the Moon as a Goddess.


And the Moon is often considered the Muse of poets. The text with this deck refers directly to that:


‘It is said that those who sleep in the moonlight either go mad or become poets.’ 


Let’s ignore the first possibility! I’ll just tell you that all through my childhood I slept under an uncurtained window with the moon shining in. I loved that! I did personify Her and feel connected to Her. I felt safe with Her looking in on me. 


I didn’t know then about any relevance to poetry – but I did become a poet, starting at the age of seven. 


full moon

in the window –

sleeping child












No comments:

Post a Comment

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!