We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

30.4.18

Paganing


 Poetry Month, day 30

At the final day of Thirty Poems in April for 2018, we are asked to turn nouns into verbs. What wild and wondrous metaphors that  might produce! ("If we firework, is it from rage or orgasm?" we are asked.) But poems have minds of their own, and mine took a rather more literal approach.


Paganing

I'm Samhaining tonight.
No, the date's not wrong, 
I've Hemisphered it
(Southerned it) Sabbated it
to this arc of the circle
where I live and witch.

Oh, there'll be plenty 
on the other side of the world 
Northerning the date –
lighting fires and jumping
into each other's hot arms,
Beltaining the evening away.

Here, I’m ancestring.
Places are set around the table:
plated, cutleried, cupped,
food and wine ready
for those who care to come
spiriting through the veil.

And not only my forebears,
those past generations –
no, also my husbands  
(three) who unspoused me
in life or death but all dead now …
and certain others never wedlocked.

What kind of ritualling would it be
without those faces at my feast?
But first I’ll go midnighting, out there
with my wands and my black cat.
So long since I've ceremonied outdoors!
It's overcast, dark. That’s fitting.

I candle the space minimally. I know
that my neighbour over the back fence
is away, having schizophrenicked himself
into hospital, poor chap, but it frees me
to cast and call unseen; to between; to open;
then welcome honoured guests.

19 comments:

  1. Marvelling at this marvel of a poem Rosemary -am sure that master of the noun-verb Dylan Thomas would want to be one of your "certain others never wedlocked"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a wonderful thought! And why not? I was thinking more of other loves whom I didn't end up marrying – but, as a poet, he is certainly one of my dearest loves!

      Delete
  2. This is lovely!💜 Wishing you a blessed Samhain, Rosemary!💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sanaa. It's been fun journeying with you this month.

      Delete
  3. What a great set of verbing

    Much🌼love

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the verbed nouns. Bewitching! (Smiles.) Love the setting out of plates and cups for those visiting through the veil. Love the vision of you outdoors with your wand, casting and calling. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hear, hear, for midnighting ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here, I’m ancestring...

    I can't tell you how much I love this line. We southerners have to upset the rituals to suit our nether seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever bit of verbing! Loved it. I especially like the idea of your invited guests. Would that I could do the same - for old time's sake :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, and I always enjoy reckoning anew with the fact that we live on the other side of the world from each other, and everything is flipped. Enjoy your opposite Samhaining!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way you verbed yourself into the wonder of samhain.. so much movement in your word.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is superb, Rosemary! You've witched up some great verbifications here! I am particularly wowed by:
    'I've Hemisphered it
    (Southerned it) Sabbated it
    to this arc of the circle
    where I live and witch';
    'Here, I’m ancestring.
    Places are set around the table:
    plated, cutleried, cupped'
    and
    'But first I’ll go midnighting, out there
    with my wands and my black cat'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your ceremonies, rituals and all things as the night thins and we, on the opposite arc, open our arms to the heat and spring fling, ... er, I'll skip verbing.... Beltane ... celebrate well, in peace, safety and pleasure .... Bright Blessings.

    And thank you for the pleasure of your words this month Rosemary. (poems and comments)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and the same to you! I've very much enjoyed yours also.

      Delete
  12. Adore setting out the cutlery for "for those who care to come
    spiriting through the veil. Enjoyed the whole poem!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cast and call well my friend. Blessed Be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you.

      When I did go out at midnight, it was no longer so overcast. The full moon was clearly visible right overhead. (Smile.)

      Delete
  14. Ah, your dwelling place where you 'live and witch'...love this line :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The first line made me smile. It reads like a gentle battle chant that calls for everything. And I love the image brewed to mind by "where I live and witch."

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!