We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

20.4.18

Unseasonable


Poetry Month, day 19

In Get Listed at "imaginary garden with real toads" I chose, from several lists of words to include in a poem: sensual, features, blue, mouth. (We could also be inspired by a poem about Spring in April – but where I live, April means Autumn!)


Unseasonable

Sensual Autumn fails to arrive 
this April. The warm blue skies
we expected do not appear.
Instead we look up at a vast white
stippled with grey. So far, the month
features rain, thunder, wind, more rain. 
The mouth of the river is rippled 
with stormy waves, even before
it merges with the sea. What gods
must we pray to, so as to avert
further punishment for all our misdeeds?
Are we ourselves the gods who now
make the weather happen? Then who
indeed shall we pray to? (Mother 
and Father both being gone.)



16 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME, Rosemary!!! I think the trick is really just to find some enjoyment of, or appreciation for, whatever kind of weather/circumstance is happening. When your inward world fights its outward world, you are in constant turmoil, emotionally. I think we have to learn to love what is instead of trying to force what we'd like to be. Embrace the storm, then maybe the blue skies will come. Don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly – but I was tapping into something much deeper than logical thought for this one.

      Delete
  2. We are having thunderstorms since the past few days here in Kuala Lumpur.. sigh.. how I long for Autumn and Winter. Beautiful writing, Rosemary!💞 I particularly love; " The mouth of the river is rippled with stormy waves".. such a truly luscious image!💞

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite days, having grown up on the third coast of Texas, grey if my favorite!!! You make it sound very inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Are we ourselves the gods who now
    make the weather happen?"

    A stunning bit of rhetoric Rosemary

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so easy to become frustrated when the seasons seem to hesitate to change
    "Are we ourselves the gods who now
    make the weather happen?"
    This is a very good question, food for thought. I enjoyed your imagery very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. April is March this year, everywhere. Beautifully penned, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A poignant write Rosemary. The last lines just took my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy the question about the Gods and the avoiding of punishment... the weather sometimes does seem that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gods
    must we pray to, so as to avert
    further punishment for all our misdeeds? a question I ask as I chip ice on the walkways... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love this, especially your last four lines. It's interesting, too, because here we're having a non-spring spring. So different, and yet so similar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such vivid imagery! Love it😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. That ending is amazing! I like how you put it in parentheses, as if it is not important, even though it is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the gods are really riled up at us, messing with Mother Nature can come back to haunt.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the weight of that clouded sky is sometimes hard to carry... I hope for some parting of clouds for you...

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!