We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

7.4.18

Eye of the Beholder


Poetry Month, day 7


Eye of the Beholder


I went to the Women’s Conference
(decades ago now; I was only 
in my forties) at the University of 
Melbourne – where I’d been a student
once, but now I was the at-home 
mother of schoolboys. It was crowded:
women of all shapes, sizes and ages.

Most were wearing no makeup,
comfortable clothes. The second day, 
I did too. “But that in itself is 
conforming,” said my neighbour (who 
didn’t go) who enjoyed playing with 
makeup, fashion, hair colouring,
perfumes…. (To be honest, I did, too.)

By the third day, I started to see
beauty everywhere I looked – 
a beauty that didn’t reside
in painted lips or high heels, or
everyone trying to look the same.
I saw the beauty in difference,
the beauty of difference.

It shone from the tall and straight:
slim trees touching the sky. And
from the fatly rounded, their soft,
cushiony, flowing curves. From
tiny women and the strongly built,
from the interesting maps of the crones’ 
lived-in faces, and the smooth teens.

I still wear lipstick, but that’s about all.
My face tells the world I’m past forty
by a long way. But younger men whom
I don’t know call me “darling”. (I must
seem like a nice old thing.) And when I
posted my latest selfie on facebook,
dozens of friends labelled me beautiful.


For Camera Flash! at 'imaginary garden with real toads", responding to a photo of a model advertising cosmetics. 

13 comments:

  1. That's because you're stunning!💞 Sigh.. a deeply wise and introspective write, Rosemary!💞

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the beauty of your spirit, Rosemary, through your words. Thank you for sharing this experience - it made a big impact on you, I gather, since you write a detailed account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it showed me that every woman is beautiful in her own way – by seeing them en masse, unadorned, in all their wondrous variety. It burst on me as a revelation, and has never quite left me. I only wish I could give that experience to everyone. And I don't think it can happen when even some of us try to conform to a cultural ideal: then we are all perceived / judged by that standard.

      Delete
  3. Yes maam you are beautiful!!!

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to these feelings so well, having had my own awakening. How wonderful that your friends gave you the compliment you well deserve :-) I love you descriptions of the women you met at the conference,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you say it....and I concur....on your beauty ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those last three lines, and this whole contemplation of beauty and what it really means. People sometimes look askance at selfie culture, but really -- is there anything more gratifying? :) Well, sure ... but I'm not ashamed to say that I love all those "likes" and nice comments, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you began to see beauty, unadorned.........I made the journey of hiding behind a mask of makeup, then discovering I was enough just as I was. It took a while......beauty definitely does come from within.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beauty everywhere I looked –
    a beauty that didn’t reside
    in painted lips or high heels

    Natural beauty, always there but somehow hidden unwittingly and difficult to comprehend why it must be so!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a comforting poem - one I need to learn to embrace myself as I still like foundation and a bit of mascara - and I'm addicted to a soft colored pink lip stick which I read once is not for "older" women - but oh well. My girls can go to school without a stitch of makeup on and not care. I love that about them. They also like makeup - but it is optional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there are ways of using make-up as self-expression and decoration rather than an attempt at homogeneity and erasing "flaws".

      Delete
  10. Seeing our own beauty is I think the key to seeing it in others. Sounds like you re doing that well to me.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!