We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

6.4.18

Changeable Weather


Poetry Month, day 5


Changeable Weather

"You've brought the sun,"
they used to say, 
when I came home
on holiday.

Every time
I left again,
they said, "Oh my,
please take this rain."

A joke, I thought.
(I was still young.)
But now the night
is dark and long

and full of storm 
when you depart,
taking the warm
light from my heart.

I understand
at last a truth
lost to my bland
ignorant youth

as your return
brings back all sun
for which I yearn
while you are gone.


Written for Take the Weather With You at "imaginary garden with real toads"

(Sadly I have had to introduce comment moderation to deal with a relentless spammer.)


9 comments:

  1. Yes there are people who do that to us. They light up our lives and leave us dim

    Much🌼love

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Rosemary, when I read your posts, poetry or other "you bring the sun." So I believe your folk.
    Nicely written, I enjoyed reading your 'weather'.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super response to the prompt.. who notices the weather when close to a beloved?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful... it's not the weather but the company...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful, Rosemary!❤️ You certainly do bring the sun whenever you come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the simplicity of this - yet the double/triple meanings, the subtlety of layers, like pulling on a cozy sweater when the chill sets in. And I loved the self-admonishment of the 5th stanza - particularly bland youth - apt word play for colours and dull/dimness and bright sun and warmth etc. Strikingly well worded.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!