We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

25.4.18

My Favourite Vices

Poetry Month, day 25

In Virtue or Vice at "imaginary garden with real toads" we are asked to write about at least one of the Seven Deadly Sins or Seven Heavenly Virtues.



My Favourite Vices

Mine are the sensual vices,
gluttony and lust.
And they are worth their prices –
if pay one must.
My moist, warm orifices
weren't meant to rust!

I cherish both sweetness and savour,
equally willing
to relish any flavour
so long as it's filling,
and feast in a blissful fervour 
of juices spilling.

Mine are the sins of pleasure,
the decadent.
I love to gorge at leisure
with full intent.
I never hoard my treasure,
I like it spent.

16 comments:

  1. Deeeelightful. I think it was in Macbeth that Shakespeare alludes to lust as a cistern, a reservoir of desire; but how much better a hoarded treasure that fully spent! Supper's ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the straightforward abandon in this piece. Damn, why so shy? :D *giggle* Quite naughty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sensual, wow, We do take pleasure in some sins don’t we :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the unrusted orifices reference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh this one delights the senses, Rosemary!💜 A poem that deserves a countless readings which I will gladly do!😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the first two lines!! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! Hot stuff. Really nicely done, and the rhyme serves it well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sexy delight! Naughty but yet, so human and true. I am the same way. Hope to be until I am 99.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You didn't hold back here !😁 A good write!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to smile at the unrusted orifices. Mine are, sadly, completely rusted. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er, you don't want to believe everything you read.

      Delete
  11. Nicely done, Rosemary! I especially enjoyed:
    '...feast in a blissful fervour
    of juices spilling'
    and
    'I never hoard my treasure,
    I like it spent'.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed... I wonder if it's really a vice to enjoy one's lust. Maybe it's a virtue really.

    ReplyDelete
  13. definitely some clever word play, and well, why not walk/pen on the wild side .... if it's self-indulgent? slap it on the butt and call it poetic license!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!