We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

21.4.21

Anti Love Poem

 Anti Love Poem


I advise against writing love poems.

You only end up looking silly

when the grand passion fizzles out –

either quickly, like one of those fireworks

that turns out to be a squib, or else

by dwindling gradually over years

of becoming mundane, locked into

conversations about whether you can 

afford to buy the eldest a new coat

or how long you can put off 

replacing the carpet. No. Romance

is the province of the young. You might

still love each other uproariously

into the wrinkles and/or the fat,

but it’s harder to find charming 

adjectives and comparisons, in the face 

of the roses in one’s cheeks giving way 

to weatherbeaten, or when age spots blemish

those erstwhile graceful or powerful hands.

The longer your true love lasts, the more

those early, rapturous effusions will become

ridiculous, trotted out to your embarrassment

at family parties. If you happen to be famous,

they could appear in books. There might

very well be author photos that don’t even 

look like you now, let alone like someone 

who must have been gorgeous once, or

at least deliciously lovable and wantable

and worth the eternal love of … well,

of this other quaint elderly person.



Prompt #20 for the April Poem A Day challenge at Poetic Asides is to write 'a Love and/or Anti-Love poem' – which I have wilfully misunderstood in order to write an Anti-Love-Poem poem.


(I'm not really anti-love, nor anti-love-poetry! It's a position adopted for this prompt.)


Sharing a few months later with Poets and Storytellers United via Writers'Pantry #82


24 comments:

  1. Looking silly has never been an impediment to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we love each other enough we should accept the changes in our lives. Lucky are those who change little over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, and our partners still look beautiful to us when seen with the eye of love.

      Delete
  3. Anti-love poems or love poems work equally well in your hands. But i will take love poems anytime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was fun to write, just once, but of course I prefer love poems too.

      Delete
  4. i just turned 50 this year and resemble everything in this poem, thanks for reminding me, thanks a lot, really (no just kidding) loved reading this poem, and while you call this poem and anti-love poem i think it speaks very well of love, the long lasting kind, very well done, and very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, 50 looks young to this octogenarian! I'm glad you got the tongue-in-cheek-ness.

      Delete
  5. Time and love word their very own secrets

    Happy Sunday

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful write!!!! And you are right!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortrunately, this depicts the dismal outcome of some teenage passions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it depends whether the passion is only skin-deep.

      Delete
  8. This is a perfect anti-love poem poem. The more I read, the higher my eyebrows went. By the time I was done, my eyebrows had reached my hairline, I'm sure... Also, the more I read, the more I understood that this was, in a way, a fictional poem. Or, at least, not one were you were the speaker. You're one of the most passionate people I've met. You'd never be too old to write love poems (or to live them).

    ReplyDelete
  9. But they're so much fun to look back on. And we are still together. And yet, here is my most recent (tame) love poem, written four years ago.

    Love After Sixty

    A butterfly appears
    My head tilts to watch it
    My body holds the flowers
    that flutter as it passes
    A smile crosses the room

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, good treatise. At one time I read how to write love poems, I even walked through the steps telling them and showing how to put it all together. Every now and then I practice, or sometimes it just comes out, not necessarily following the format exactly.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was a format!

      Delete
    2. This is what I wrote per the instructions. The bold print, first line is the outline I followed, if there is a second it is sort of a note to myself or a thought:
      https://jimmiehov6.blogspot.com/2014/08/wrinkle-rewritten.html?m=1
      ..

      Delete
    3. Well well! The instructions are good advice, I must say. And anything that got you started writing poetry has to be a good thing.

      Delete
  11. That's a skillful anti-love poem. I enjoyed your tongue-in-cheek humour. But as a hopeless romantic, I still hoped for a happy ending... :)

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!