We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

17.4.21

Cities I Have Loved

 Cities I Have Loved


Denpasar four decades ago,

strolling in the night markets.

Families of all generations 

out together on a warm evening. 


Before bombs, hard drugs …

and synthetic sarongs

for the stupid tourists,

printed one side only.


Busy, friendly Kathmandu

under the shining white peaks.

Streets of shapely, ancient buildings:

Hindu, Buddhist and Bon.


Before the family, remote 

in that tiny, pretty palace 

was slaughtered by a mad son; before 

Communists, or the worst earthquake.


Edinburgh with the looming crag,

welcoming castle, water views,

and the small card shop on the Golden Mile 

with every known variety of Tarot.


Before the visible poverty 

overcrowding the streets,

the slums and degradation

described to me since my time.


Venice with its colour, its joy,

its bountiful water and thin lanes,

the masks in every shop window

and the art, the art, the art!


Before the cruise ships, the floods, 

the water-damaged buildings; even before 

the ubiquitous, proliferating (other)  

slow-moving tourists littering the sites.


Cusco – its mountains and music,

its people who loved and helped us,

its huge old perfectly-fitted stones; 

banks and businesses closed for siesta.


Before the country’s recent droughts

and recurrent, yearly 'political crises'.

And before COVID … and before I got

too old and unfit to contemplate travel.



Prompt #16 for the April Poem A Day Challenge at Poetic Asides is a city poem.



24 comments:

  1. How beautiful, the memories, and yet how sad what has become. I recall some cities I have loved, and wouldn't want to see them now. I don't even what to see Portland or San Francisco now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only think how blessed I was to experience these places before 'what has become'.

      Delete
  2. Happy Sunday, today's meanderings are soul stirrers

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly Covid has been a disaster but how many people will be saying that at least they have done their overseas trips long ago and do not regret that that cannot go holidaying again in foreign countries with locked borders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly glad I had those experiences when I did. And others, which I missed out on – well (shrug) I missed out. But after all, I have very little cause for complaint.

      Delete
  4. I guess, after reading this, I should say, "Gee, I gotta get out more," but I remember saying that about half a century ago, so I guess I shoulda listened to myself way back then, eh?

    Thanks for toting me along your memory trail, though. It's good to get out, even if it's only in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have family in Peru. The COVID situation is very dire indeed, and I know there's been a lot of concern as to how that will be handled now that the election is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all my favourite places visited, Peru is my top favourite – though I didn't see very much of it, only Cusco and Lima, and of course Machu Picchu and the village of Aquas Calientes. People everywhere I've been have always been so kind and charming; nowhere more so than in Peru, where they saw Andrew and me (correctly) as a naive little old couple, and took us under their protective wings. Sad indeed to think of COVID devastation there, on top of everything else that has come to them since I was there in 1998.

      Delete
  6. yes, how beautiful the memories, and the heartache at how the favourite cities and towns have declined through tourism, neglect and crime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to know that it is we ourselves who have done it all.

      Delete
  7. You paint a somber picture of "what has become" in your favorite places. Sadly you won't be returning to see the magic still exists despite challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Not only are my travelling days past, but pretty much everyone's for now. I'm glad to have acquired my memories when I did.

      Delete
  8. This one makes my heart ache with farsickness for all the places you've listed and homesickness for my Dominican Republic and other places I've lived in and loved. The state of the world and the changes in our bodies have taken and continue to take so much. Thank goodness for memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been blessed to have acquired those memories at the times we did – even though they make our hearts ache now, contemplating the changes and all that is lost.

      Delete
  9. I think everyone's travel days are over for the forseeable future.This plague will change the world forever in ways we cannot even imagine.You live in a beautiful part of the world....so do I... we are lucky !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, that's very true – all of what you say.

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed this, Rosemary .... reads like a kind of yin / yang travelogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky for me I experienced the things which have made the beautiful memories; the downside I have not known personally, only by report.

      Delete
  11. Oh lovely what a beautiful places you have visited I would love to go to Edinburgh Love castles. What ashame that the world has changed so much. So much more peaceful in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I never got to New Zealand, which sounds so beautiful. I like reading about your views of it!

      Delete
  12. There's always a before-and-after story, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!