We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

15.4.21

The Immediate Surroundings

 The Immediate Surroundings

Above my computer 

is a shelf and above that

a section of wall. There are

pictures and objects — all,

now that I think of it,

unusual, even esoteric —

only I am so used to them

I regard them as normal.


















Doesn’t everyone have

images of deities (Egyptian,

Celtic, Greek) and bowls of

offerings (feathers, stones ...)

as well as huge crystals,

clown figurines, and animal 

and bird pictures channelled 

by a spiritual artist friend?





















To my right as I sit working

is a big window onto greenery,

and dangling in it yet another

clown, a big one, on a swing.

I just like clowns, OK? I never

thought them sinister. I like them

Carnivale: beautiful, sad, star-

crossed lovers. (Aren’t we all.)






















Lately something else, 

something new, wanders

into my space, asserting

ownership — not only of desk

but me. My new cat, Poppi, 

is a cuddle-puss, a love junkie.

She climbs gently but firmly

to lie, purring, across my heart.






















The Poetic Asides Poem A Day prompt for April 14 is to write a 'from where you're sitting' poem.

Sharing with Poets and Storytellers United's Writers' Pantry #77.


9 comments:

  1. How beautiful to peek into your home and see Poppi too. Our homes should reflect the people we are as your photos tell us .

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought you were going to keep going up to see what was up in the sky. And then the clowns came in and that was unexpected and then the cat love was grounding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful descriptions of your space
    Happy Sunday.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog today
    I did slight edits after your visit . I added an image of the fabric dcrap mentioned in my haiga. And, i realized the second poem is too long to be called a cinquain do i titled it leaving out a form

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how these show us different facets of your heart in such a cozy way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Normality is such a personal thing. Most of the things on the shelf you described also live around my house, sitting on books, on altars, on random shelves, on my writing space. To me, abnormal would be not to have them. And I, too, love clowns... and dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a peek into your home. Poppi is such a beauty!
    i never thought of clowns as sinister, until all those movies messed it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love having things that speak to me or remind me of people or events around me. And I'm so glad to have met Poppi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad Poppy is a cuddle puss...she is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I love this description of your surroundings ... the artifacts you love, your kitty ... that have meaning. As I read your poem, I found myself looking up at the cabinet shelves above my computer. A mug from the 1984 Olympics (I was there) an English Springer Spaniel ceramic that looks like my Chloe from 1987, a birdhouse my sister made, carefully preserved dried roses from bouquets my children sent, a small oil I painted. And more. I looked at them with renewed appreciation. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!