We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

30.4.21

the future holds the final answer

 the future holds the final answer


thick with rain

pensive yet pungent

lift a seashell

an old song unforgotten


you could be journeying

falling through space

with great swooping cries

fierce and raw and loud


Golden Apollo who embodied the sun

bright and fierce

picked me up and threw me

through the thinning divide


rapturous light

purring across my heart

ever after

dwindling gradually


no bearing it otherwise

they are things I know

but I don’t understand

we don’t have to 


it needs so little




Poetic Asides prompt #28 for April 2021: a remix poem. Various possibilities were suggested; I chose 'take a line or phrase from each of your poems this month and work it into a cohesive new creation'. How cohesive, I'll leave you to judge! I picked whatever line or phrase jumped out at me from the rest; the title is one of them too. It seemed fitting to leave it all lower case, unpunctuated; perhaps it gives the reader more chance to make sense of it.

Shared in October 2021 with Poets and Storytellers United, for Writers' Pantry #92: Better Than Normal.

14 comments:

  1. As the last stanza of the poem alludes, there's something mysterious yet true about the future holding the final answer. And perhaps, the beauty of it all is that we don't have to understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem title is spot on. With all the knowledge acquired we still need the process of sifting through and application. Understanding will not come all at once.
    Happy Sunday. Thanks for dropping by my blig today

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the feel I get from this. It's unsettled but there is an undercurrent of wonder running through it all that really hooks me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just know and do not need to understand.yes,always listen to the little voice...there are so many mysteries that we will never understand

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a little super hero touch here. I saw you as a falcon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I love this interpretation, Colleen! I'd love to think of myself as a (little touch of a) super hero – and even more as a falcon.

      Delete
  6. We spend a lifetime trying to understand it all. The great quest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the second stanza of this one and the way it opens up imaginatively.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that this reads like self-guided meditation. The tone is ritualistic and exploratory. By the time we get to the end, we are left with a sense of wisdom... the wisdom that comes to us when we acknowledge that we don't know everything.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!