We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

30.4.21

Evening

 Evening


Evening has been the loneliest time 

since my love left me, first for hospital

and nursing home, and then…


And then the cats, who used to 

still snuggle up to me in the big bed

left me too, one by one.


Always the night owl, I escalated

my bad habits, hour after hour

putting off going to bed alone.


My new cat doesn’t often

spend the night with me, but she does 

like long embraces any time.


She chooses the times, picking her way

across my desk (delicately not stepping

on the computer keyboard).


Or invites me to play chasey, running

up the passage while I lumber after 

(probably very good for my fitness).


We land in ‘her room’, the spare room,

where she enjoys the afternoon sun.

I loll beside her. She enters my arms.


All this tactile loving eases my heart.

Evenings might be playful or restful;

her presence here is enough.


I still keep late hours, I always will.

But evenings now have lost that dread

of confronting loss and loneliness.


When I do retire, I adjust the pillows

and settle in, singly, yet feeling hugged.

I believe she too feels safe and loved.




Poetic Asides prompt #29 for April 2021: an evening poem.
Linked, in July, to Writers' Pantry #81 at Poets and Storytellers United.


















22 comments:

  1. I am pleased to know your cat affords you such comfort. Cats are truly wonderful.
    Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although not an ardent cat fancier the ones we did have settled into our home easily and even chose a position closest to whatever form of heating we ued on cooler days. Thisd we didn't mind but our dog was cross as no matter how close he was to the fire and or radiator our cat would place himself between dog and heat source...and did get singed once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, cats are like that, lol. And dogs, though they may raise objections, are usually good-natured enough to put up with it. I have often lived with both dogs and cats at the same time.

      Delete
  3. Tenderly and honestly penned. I like and relate to the part about escalating bad habits and putting off going to bed. I do that too because morning is hard and at night I feel more free and like to squeeze more of that in. I envy those who find comfort in cat friends. I like poems that let me know an other better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I too experience a freedom in the night hours. Having my cat does help with the mornings too. Before I got her, I noticed I was feeling a little lonely.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I am so happy evenings no longer carry that lonely feel of dread with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was handling it, you know, but it is SO much better now.

      Delete
  5. Happy to know. Your pet brings you joy
    Stay Safe

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  6. now i know why there are so many cat videos on social media!
    i enjoyed this warm and delightful poem about you and your cat. certainly, she knows that you need that bit of exercise to keep fit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I think she’s a smart cookie — and no doubt knows she needs it too. Cat videos are great, but there’s nothing like an actual cuddle!

      Delete
  7. Your little companion gives you such pleasure, it's good to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, believe she feels safe and loved. Her behavior shows so much trust and delight. Also, caring is a living thing, something that translates in all languages, something that creates the most wonderful of relationships.

    I am so happy you have each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do think The Powers That Be orchestrated that one very well.

      Delete
  9. You and your cat are good for each other. I love seeing it on your desk. My daughter lost her husband last spring of the COVID-19 and heart failure. She doesn't have a cat but I know she needs one, we do also. And she had given her dog away just before she fell and broke her hip. We saw her yesterday, several others from our family also met at a granddaughter's home.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a sad time for your daughter! And all the family. Sounds like she would not be able to care for a pet just yet, if she is still recovering from her hip injury. Perhaps later.

      Delete
  10. There is great comfort in having another warm body nearby. And, yes, cats can provide that comfort in the absence of beloved human flesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I think it is good for us to have some other living being to lavish our own love and nurturing upon.

      Delete
  11. Lovely. When one gives love, one can gain love in return. Nice.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!