We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

26.4.21

In the Mind, Travelling

 In the Mind, Travelling


In the mind, travelling 

over a stretch of wild water –

among the wildest in the world –

I encounter the ghost of one

I thought long dead.

I buried her myself, years ago.


She was become as an old song

few remembered, so I told

myself, who also rarely

recalled that face, that voice,

let alone thoughts or utterances. 

Yet here she is, as if reborn.


It’s only that I began thinking 

of that island whose daughter

I was, and the time living there ... 

that complicated girl 

I meant to leave behind. 

It seems I've re-created the Strait.


Easier to cross mentally

than in a real boat.Though once

(when I banished her back there)

this way of making the crossing 

would have been the more turbulent.

What made me idly try it now?


Well, no matter. It is nearly

Samhain, here in the Southern 

half of the Sphere. Ghosts

and spirits of all kinds 

may be starting to peer through

or reach through the thinning divide.


Why should a disembodied

fragment that once formed part

of a living entity not seek,

perhaps by its own thoughts,

to rejoin the parent body?

I contemplate a welcome.


































Image of Bass Strait (between Tasmania and the Australian mainland) taken from Sorrento, Victoria, by Finn Whelan; found on Unsplash.


Written in response to prompt 25 for April 2021, at Poetic Asides, to write a poem about thought.


Sharing with Poets and Storytellers United for Weekly Scribblings #67: Liminal Space. More than one kind of that here!


(A friend who read this found it unclear, so I have now tweaked it in  the hope of being less obscure.)



22 comments:

  1. What a stunning image to illustrate your evocative poem, Rosemary! Travelling in the mind leaves us open to all kinds of scenery and ghosts, especially at Samhain, and it’s comforting to encounter the ones we love the most. I love the phrase ‘She was become as an old song few remembered’ and the strait ‘Easier to cross mentally than in a real boat’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read this before I tried to make it clearer, Kim, and I'm glad you did as it helped show me I needed to do some rewriting. And perhaps more yet..? Suffice to say this 'ghost' was not one of those I 'loved the most'.

      Delete
  2. Nice one. Happy Wednesday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this power of the mind concept.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's strange how we can be deeply touched by people whom we only seldom have in our thoughts. I suppose there just isn't time enough to remember frequently everyone who is worthy of remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was more a case of having worked hard to 'bury' that 'person' (or fragment) and only deciding now, due to her/its sudden, surprising insistence, to contemplate re-integration.

      Delete
  5. The spirits "starting to peer through... the thinning divide" is certainly chilling to me. Seeking to rejoin the "parent body" is something for me thing about today! As a Northern Hemisphere resident, it never occurred to me Samhain wouldn't be the same as ours! How silly, since it's not the particular date we use (and if we search "Samhain" the hits ignore the Southern Hemisphere date completely).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you remember that these turning points of the year are seasonal, it becomes obvious that they must be six months apart in the Southern and Northern Hemispheres. I tend to focus more on the welcoming of old family members back to the table for that night, in honoured remembrance, than on the chilling aspect.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow. I really love this piece and how it makes me consider the stages of the soul's progress here on earth. We become multiple people as we move from birth to death. My 49 year old self is wildly different from the 19 year old, but I think it would be good to have her visit, and remind me of the things I've forgotten about myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you not only love but understand this piece!

      Delete
  7. There is so much about Tasmania that facinates both residents and visitors alike. Mind you I have never been there in winter as it would too much like England then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you;'re not wrong! I avoid going back in the winter myself.

      Delete
  8. A marvelous and evocative poem, Rosemary. There's such a marvelous flow in the reading. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rosemary, I like this one, it made me smile from the memories it evoked. A few years back at our high school 60th class reunion (this year is 70, I think they will not celebrate because of the COVID-19, I had traveled 960 +/- miles, Mrs. Jim and I. The banquet was in the evening, we were having a noon lunch at the Senior Center. At an adjacent table there was a classmate of mine sitting, eating, with some friends that I did not know.
    I had intended to go over and say hello after we had eaten but she exclaimed to us, "Is that Jim H over there?" I smiled and we knew each other for sure. The reason for her surprise was evidenced by her next, "I had you on the deceased list of our class members!"
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fascinating, Rosemary. I thought of myself at
    different ages, and some of those who are gone.
    That photograph pulled me strait through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful response!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I see (a little belatedly) what you did there with 'strait'!

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!