We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

6.4.19

He Followed Us Home and We Kept Him


He Followed Us Home and We Kept Him

The kids and I loved him so much!
And he was sad, you know, misunderstood;
and he didn’t have a family of his own …
of course we offered him a home with us.

The man of the house was less enchanted
but we said, ‘Look, he’s got nowhere else.
He’s already destroyed his homeland.’
So he let him stay … grudgingly.

But never spoke to him, never played
hidey or chasey, wanted to ban him
from joining us at meals, and refused
to read him bedtime stories. I ask you!

It’s true he took up a lot of room, and
ate a lot too – but he caught his own food,
and he was better than any guard dog.
And he was sweet! He knew we loved him.

Well, most of us. It became a Situation.
We had to resolve it. No contest, really.
The world has plenty husbands and dads,
but there’s only one darling Godzilla.


Written in response to the film prompt, What We Do in the Shadows at 'imaginary garden with real toads'. We were asked to write about 'a supernatural creature who is a troublesome roommate'. Oh dear, my favourite monster isn't really supernatural, is he? And obviously he's a perfectly lovely roommate. I do hope he's allowed! (After all, there are plenty of poetry sites but only one ...)

16 comments:

  1. Ah this is delightfully woven, Rosemary! The image of Godzilla as sad and misunderstood having destroyed his own homeland makes perfect sense and at the same time opens the mind to various possibilities!❤️ I enjoyed this very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. but he caught his own food...

    Always a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! He needed a home, and to be loved. I would make the same choice as the narrator. Wait a minute....I DID! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely poem!! You made me feel so much for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet! I want a Gozilla! Love this Rosemary!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kept reading along, speculating, until you let us have it in the final line. (I admit: I had some trepidation that you wouldn't tell us. That would have just been mean.)
    Nice write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been known to resist a punch-line, lol.

      Delete
  7. You know....I'd be tempted to let ole Zilla crash a few nights too! Love this! Thanks for posting to my prompt and viva la

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Rosemary, he was such a nice fellow. Even when he was naughty. Our Toto, now deceased, followed Mrs. Jim and our daughter, she was tiny and crawled under the fence. The owner said she was the last of the litter and that we could keep her. We did.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Choices... One must not risk losing Godzilla. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would have been a great narrative poem without the monster paw at the end, but it's twice exquisite laid so. Well done Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said, and a great surprise at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, I love that you worded it this way:

    "But never spoke to him, never played
    hidey or chasey"

    Such a perfect/funny transition:

    "It became a Situation."

    Silly Zilla luhs you too, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!