We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

17.4.19

Poetry as a Cat

For Poems in April, Day 16, at 'imaginary garden with real toads', we are reminded of Ferlinghetti's 'Poetry as Insurgent Art' and asked to write on 'Poetry as ...'

Poetry as a Cat


Is inadequate.

You can't pick it up and hug it.
Unless it's in a book –
the old-fashioned, physical kind.
(I do pick up books I love
and hug them. Do you?)

Actually, some cats
are not very huggy either,
they merely submit
and wriggle away
as soon as feasible.
But if you are well-behaved
in their opinion,
they may reward you
by sitting on your lap –
or, if they are not lap-cats,
by snuggling close and purring.

Poetry doesn't purr or miaow.
Though it can make its readers
utter happy noises, or sometimes
yelps of indignation.

On the other hand,
it won't demand food.
If you like to eat, don't expect poetry
to get you fed. It won't even
drop the odd dead mouse
at your feet.

But poetry itself is sustained
by everything
and nothing –
being not merely animal ...
though sometimes it gives
a good imitation. (I have written
poems that roar.
Or squeak.
Or flash a claw.)

Poetry as a cat
though inadequate
is sometimes preferable.

It costs nothing
to euthanase a poem
when it's too sick to save.
You don't have to give
large sums of money to a vet,
and you need not concern yourself
about doing it kindly.
You simply crumple the paper,
or in my case press Delete.

And afterwards
you won't spend days and weeks
(and even months and years, on and off) 
crying
because there can never be
another quite like that one.

The new poem
is always the best one,
eclipsing all others.

Poetry won't leave you,
even if a particular poem
doesn't work out.
Or if it does leave for a while
it will find its way back –
like a cat that goes walkabout
long enough to worry you, but then
turns up at the back door at mealtime
just as if nothing had happened.

Cats and poetry –
minds of their own.
Not biddable
except when, for their own
inscrutable purposes
they choose to cooperate.

This poem
is going for a nap now.
Hopefully,
next time I want to pick it up,
it will wake.

20 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS POEM SO MUCH!!!!!!! I absolutely adore it. It is - ahem - purr-fect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, Rosemary! Your cat poem has left me purring. Similar to Kipling’s story- the poem that walked by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the most heartfelt, the most beautiful poem I have ever read, Rosemary!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH! I love it, Rosemary. This is something that resonates deeply and the cat-like stealth and eccentricities of your verse are so endearing. I laughed and smiled throughout while reading. Thanks for this! :-)
    "Poetry as a cat/though inadequate/is sometimes preferable": I am sticking this on my post-it wall. Ha! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Delighted to have provided you with a slogan for your wall. Long may it inspire!

      Delete
  5. Wonderfully written... And this sadly is very true: It won't even
    drop the odd dead mouse
    at your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poets are blessed because we can transcend the ordinary into an elevated dimension. Yes we are indeed fortunate to be poets. We are fortunate to write for each other as well because after years we get to peek into minds. The analogy of a poem with a cat is apt. It takes forever to know what these gorgeous mysterious creatures are plotting. I know you must miss yours terribly. Easter is lovely in your neck of the woods. All the purple tibouchina and yellow butter bush are out now. You live in a beautiful part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poetry as a cat is actually quite adequate. I have a cat so I know this is true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you misunderstood me. I do not mean to say that a cat is inadequate. I know that no cat is ever inadequate – far from it.

      Delete
  8. I must confess that I am allergic to cats, so have never owned one but cats seem to love me and sit on my lap even though I do not stroke or pet them too much. I find them to be most adorable beasts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love this so much... not only how it's not like a cat... and the inconsistencies just like a cat with a mind of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was wonderfully funny and witty, except in the spots were it was honestly bittersweet and tear-jerking. Either way, it is a terrific piece. I love the way you played with this metaphor and took it in so many directions. I'm not really a cat person (like Kerry, I'm allergic) but that didn't diminish my adoration of this poem.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!