We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

29.4.19

Watching















Watching the Watcher

What is she looking at, down there 
on the street? It's not good. Her hand,
clapped to her forehead, tells me that,
but her still, intent gaze speaks of
worry rather than horror, or suggests
she is not personally involved in
whatever debacle she's viewing.
The cat, though, is picking up 
something. How uncomfortable
it looks, clasped to her side, not
itself looking out but eyeing
the photographer warily; almost
ready to squirm and run. Only
she's gripping it close, perhaps
not consciously tightening her fingers,
digging them in. The look in her eyes
tells me that the bad thing happening
down there outside her house is inevitable,
and she's not sorry. 'Had it coming,' 
that cool-eyed, firm-lipped look says.

The prompt for day 28 of Poems in April at 'imaginary garden with real toads' was to write about one of several pictures offered. I had thoughts of writing for either of two different ones, but this one was surprisingly insistent.


Photo: Unidentified Woman ca. 1950's - Walter Silver Photographs (freely available to download and use)

17 comments:

  1. See now, I was all about the woman's face and attitude when I looked at this, and never noticed all that was to be gleaned from the cat, but you certainly did! it adds so much. In fact, now I find the cat more expressive and interesting than the woman by far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll always pay more attention to cats (and dogs) than to their people.

      Delete
  2. Really wonderfully done, Rosemary. Your words are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I do see "had it coming" here. This is a really interesting observation, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting perspective on the scene - I see the cat looking at the photographer, perhaps displeased he/she has disturbed the doubly pensive moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But look how hard the woman is gripping the cat, that hand splayed like a claw and the veins standing out. She is far too young for those veins to stand out all the time; it's the strength of the grip that's doing it.

      Delete
  5. I love the way that "he had it coming"... and I wonder what role the cat had to play... I saw a completely different story in the picture...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like watching a movie inside their heads. I particularly like the descriptions of her emotions about what might be happening, and the ending... I really like the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a close observation here, Rosemary! She does seem to have her gaze intently fixed on something ❤️ perhaps she's lost in thought or watching someone go outside the window.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have a keen eye for the power of observation - yes, the cat is giving off different vibes and the woman, though photographically beautiful backlit like that - it is her expression that is resolved - or at least not in compliance with the soft light...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like what you convey from the cat’s perspective, Rosemary, something only a cat lover can do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm hearing, "He Had it Coming" singing in my head. I love your interpretation of the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made me see things in the picture i barely noticed. So well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too saw it from the cat's perspective, the horror in its eyes. I always see things from the animals' POV as do you. We love our cats. He had it coming...oh yes he did.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The whole story. You did a good job, Rosemary.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, we went to similar places. Lol

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!