We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

4.4.19

Drifting Lost


Drifting Lost

Drifting lost on these familiar streets
as the cold wind comes in early
and the evening closes down,

I ask myself, 'Who are you?'
although I know my name
and all my history.

A loss of certainty
has me stumbling lame
through places that I knew.

On mountains ringing the town,
the horizon shrinks, turns pearly;
the rain-smell sharpens, repeats.

                     *********

Across the world a young girl sings,
telling us all to love ourselves –
we are beautiful just as we are.

Many need to hear her song.
I hope they can all believe
her good, strong words.

I cheer them, ‘Onwards!’
in my mind – but receive
nothing I can use. It’s long

I’ve known that message. Far
worse now is that Self dissolves
from the inside, gradually unstrings.



I started writing this poem before I saw today's prompt, Scars to Your Beautiful at 'imaginary garden with real toads', featuring a song by Grace VanderWaal. So then I had to write a second section to address the prompt. It was further complicated by the fact that I got into a pattern of line lengths and rhymes which needed to be repeated too. All of which ended up making a doleful mood sound much more serious than it really was. Just reassuring you! 


13 comments:

  1. It's beautiful, Rosemary. There are times when we forget this truth. I am struck by the dissolving from the inside, and glad of the reassurance, lol. A wonderful response to the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is incredibly poignant, Rosemary!❤️ There are moments when we need a gentle reminder that we are beautiful inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how certainty can slip away and leave us vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your last lines get to me, Rosemary. That is the reality, though we long to believe otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Rosemary I love your poem, so many ways to say the same thing...but does it have different meanings at different times in life? ...so beautiful, your final words, "gradually unstrings."

    ReplyDelete
  6. As much as the second poem cleaves to the prompt, I like the first one so much better. It seems hiding scars underneath its surface, the way most of us do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this poem, I at times have been drifting and felt lost, your words illuminate those times for me and make me realize how time passes,,,

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, that ending is tragic. So what do you need?

    "A loss of certainty
    has me stumbling lame
    through places that I knew." ... Boy do I feel this in my bones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful and gentle reminder... in such a moving write.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too like this, Rosemary. We don't always have to follow the prompt. I too started mine before either the Toads or NaPoWriMo put theirs out. I sort of wish they would put the prompt at suppertime U.S. and let us start signing in still at midnight.
    It must be sad to actually be lost in familiar territory, like a bad dream. I am thinking that is the essence of your write but either way I like it.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Drifting lost is a powerful phrase. We dissolve from the inside, but keep our beauty.
    Gorgeous poem, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. unstrings... drifting lost... I guess our scars will be forgotten too - but I'd rather remember them and not "drift lost"... Sigh

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!