We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

9.4.19

Understand That This Is A Dream


Understand That This Is A Dream 

In which this day, being the ninth
of the month, is numbered for magic.

In which I was inspired to wear
around my neck a silver dragon.

In which, if I am very blessed, friends
whom I hurt will forgive my reckless words.

In which I come home and my cat (deceased)
does not greet me … yet I seem to see her.

In which I am given a picture of the Blue 
Madonna from Brazil, to use in healing.

In which I make a poem about light and read it
aloud to three women who project light.

In which I appear to inhabit a body 
79 years old, white-haired and overweight.

In which I resist sleep because of those moments 
still awake, lying alone waiting.

In which sleep snatches me in a chair so fast
I'm powerless to defy – often, and not briefly.  

In which the weather is warm for Autumn
but we'll likely have rain tonight.

In which Judith wants a jar with a red-checked lid
and someone who didn't know this gives her one.

In which I seem to exist, along with a world
that feels real, firm to the touch.

In which I've had worse dreams, but some
of my fellow-dreamers might wish for better.


Day 9 of Poems in April at 'imaginary garden with real toads' asks us to take the title of an Allen Ginsberg poem as a point of reference. I've used it as the title of my own poem.

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oh good! (Until feedback, one never knows.)

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness, how can you not? I love that Selene is not there yet there, and the projecting of light. Loved every line. And could SEE it all, so clearly.

      Delete
  2. Rosemary, without a shadow of a doubt, my favourite poem of the day. I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to write a whole essay in response to this --- I love this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you been in my kitchen cupboard? I am missing a red checked lid off my jar. I noticed this tonight. Spooky!
    PS
    I want it back:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw gee, I only borrowed it for the poem! (Actually, this lid came with jar attached, and it wasn't me who gave it to Judith. Though I was there to see.)

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love this poem, Rosemary!❤️ It has a very poignant and lovely stream of consciousness feeling to it. I can sense and feel your heart in these lines; " In which I come home and my cat (deceased) does not greet me … yet I seem to see her," and want to give you warm and gentle hugs.. The ocean of myriad emotions in this poem leave the reader wanting more near the end. Thank you so much for writing to the prompt!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was pretty much stream of consciousness, though tweaked a bit after. Well spotted.

      Delete
  6. Love this poem Rosemary. The dreams you posted in this, all of them interesting and funny and sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Toni, I was really writing to the concept that 'life is but a dream' which we are all collectively dreaming. Those are all things pertaining to yesterday (April 9th) when I wrote it.

      Delete
  7. I like your dream, Rosemary. You did a good job of putting it into poetry. I loved the starting of each couplet with "in which" also.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I have been weaved into the dream with you. Reality threaded with dream...It is hard to know if you're truly awake. I often wonder the why of such a state.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the cat line made my heart go out to you as I just read about it yesterday... and I googled the Blue Madonna from Brazil - interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled her too, but could not find the exact image with same background as I was given. Maybe there are a number of versions of her in different Cathedrals.

      Delete
  10. I make a poem about light and read it
    aloud to three women who project light.
    ... how amazing would that be...even in a dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, part of my everyday reality, I assure you.

      Delete
  11. There's such a casual spell to this, as my dreamsmoke often is, nothing great to one eye but full-celestial to a quiet other. A wonderful accounting too of two lives -- one surface, the other deep -- inhabiting one vessel of self. Sorry about your cat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like being under a spell made of dreams. Gorgeous, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. In my mind, the speaker is holding a wand, floating in front of the world made canvas, making every bit of imagery into a reality, sending each line right into my mind's eye. And then, I get to dream the poem, too... the Blue Madonna wears Yemayá's face, her smile is a wave of healing dancing into souls...

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!