We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

19.4.19

Speaking of Haiku ...

In Bits of Inspiration, day 18 of Poems in April at 'imaginary garden with real toads', we are asked to find inspiration in Matsuo Basho's 'The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers.' 



Speaking of Haiku ...

Basho writes of the sound of temple bells
lingering on the air, and in the ear,
even after fading into silence – as if
he is hearing it now from the flowers.

                        *********

Tonight, after the poetry reading,
I come home to a message 
to call my adopted brother. 

He adopted me first – around 2007
when we were both on MySpace 
and I started haiku and tanka groups. 

He joined, and became my chief cohort;
even took over the haiku one awhile 
when I needed a rest. Later 
we migrated them to facebook,
shared the admin roles ever since. 

We started meeting for coffee or lunch
on my Christmas visits to Melbourne 
(where he lives, and I used to).
Somewhere along the line, we began
addressing each other as Sis and Bro. 

A big woolly bear of a man,
he makes music and vibrant digital art –
and wrote the best erotic poem I ever read
(a reminiscence about an old girlfriend).

Another old girlfriend lives up here.
He told her to look me up. That 
was a few years ago. Now she's one 
of my dearest friends as well as his.

Tomorrow she and I will meet
as planned last week, to see a movie.
Also I expect we'll talk about him. 

I phoned him back. He told me his news. 
He said he'd already spoken to her. 

He explained why he won't be helping
with the poetry groups any more –
or be on Facebook any more at all. 
'Haiku on Friday is yours,' he said.

He told me how much he appreciated 
my friendship – and claimed I'd got him 
writing again, all those years ago 
after he'd been stopped (I never knew).

He sounded cheerful, calm and strong.
'It'll be just the way I want,' he said.
'Quick. And the doctor's on board
with giving me lots of pain-killers.'

I hope he leaves his artworks and music
and poetry up online. I'm going to want
to keep revisiting them. 

                        *********

Even after the temple bells fall silent,
their sound will linger on the air
and rise up from the flowers.


I sent him this poem. In our last conversation, a couple of days before he died, he told me he loved it. I made a joke that I was writing his jisei (death poem) for him. We had that kind of relationship where such things could be said and understood, even at such a time. He laughed appreciatively, and said I was very cheeky.


22 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this is beautiful in friendship, and sorrow one will be leaving. I too hope he leaves his poetry and art for many to explore their beauty. I love your ending. So sorry about your friend, thank goodness for all the art, poetry, and wonderful memories he will leave you with. Thank you for taking part in the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful story how friendship can built and evolve... love it, and what a sad story you hint it... hope he leaves it online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a heartening poem, Rosemary!❤️ Some bonds are indescribable and lift our spirits up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I realise that will be the legacy, later; much cause for gratitude. And right now I don't feel heartened but gutted.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful yet painful story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy that you as family and your mutual friend are happy for this development, Rosemary.
    Dare I ask of this is a true story? If fiction it is realistic as if this was an actual happening. Well written either way.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a true story, and the mutual friend and I are very far from happy.

      Delete
  6. I am sorry to hear this. A friend of mine died from COPD a few years ago. I like doung a search and pulling up her name and looking at her poetry. It is good to visit her. I hope they keep your friend's work up for a long time. The haiku at the end is beautifully sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really think of the final verse as a haiku, or I would have taken better care of the syllable count – but I'm glad if it has a haiku-like feel.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful haiku. Grief has you in its clutches at the moment. Stay strong. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I just received this news last night, it's predominantly shock.

      Delete
  8. The friendships we make online are as meaningful as those in the 'real world' - whatever that means - and the loss of such a friend is as shocking and mournful as if one had lived next door to the other for a lifetime. Yes, the words live on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely to find a brother and new friend. It is sad, and our virtual friends mean a great deal as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH Rosemary. It's a good job I'm a touch typist because I can hardly see for tears in my eyes.
    No wonder Phill loved this! It is quite quite sublime! Exquisite!
    I am so sorry for your loss, for our loss. Tomorrow I will start to celebrate his life but for today I am utterly destroyed! Today I've got the Blues!
    Much Love to you... Res

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, dear Res, I knew you would feel it keenly. There's just no help for it. I guess. And yet he was such a blessing to us all, we are bound to end up rejoicing for the life more than we mourn the death.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Rosemary. And thank you again for this sublime poem. And yes, you are right we must go through the grieving, the mourning but is some way it is cathartic and healing.
      I've tears in my eyes again reading this lovely poem but I feel I can also begin to celebrate our dear friend's life and his precious friendship. Thank you.
      Much Love ~ Res

      Delete
  11. There's so immense sadness in loss. Yet sweet memories sustain us. Love how the poem ends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The temple bells fall silent, yet the echo lingers in the air. I am sorry, my friend. Such a huge loss. I had a friendship like that and I, too, was able to send him my poem about his dying before he died, it moved him greatly and, after, I was so glad I had told him all he meant to me. Your poem is beautiful. I can feel that the loss is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So wonderful, Rosemary! I am so happy for the time and enjoyment you had together! Big hug!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!