We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

14.4.19

My Crowded Solitude


My Crowded Solitude

The night drags slowly
deeper into darkness and cold
in this house empty of you –
all of you, my family of the dead.

That lovely man, my husband.
The cats who began as kittens,
whom we called ‘the children’
even as they grew old along with us.

And then the singular cat,
unexpected treasure of my life,
who came to be my companion 
late, after all the others had gone.

Now she too has left me. 
In the house of the spirits, I wander
cheerless, purposeless, stranger
in a strange land I used to call home. 

Adrift in the strange land alone –
weeping, as the prophet said,
for that which has been my delight –
I begin to resurrect you from shadows.

Selene lying at my feet of an evening;
Levi’s funny little chirruping miaow; Freya 
coming to meet me across the lawn; Andrew 
holding me, saying, ‘We’ll get through this’.

And we did get through it, and here I am
out the other side with all my memories
of love growing stronger and stronger,
asking myself: What is it all but luminous?



For Day 13 of Poems in April at 'imaginary garden with real toads' we are asked to incorporate three book titles into our poem – titles containing at least three words, which we must not rearrange or delete.

My books are The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende, Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein, and What Is It All but Luminous? by Art Garfunkel. As I was writing, I realised I wanted a fourth book title as the title of the poem: My Crowded Solitude by Jack McLaren.

10 comments:

  1. The title is perfect and this particular stanza:
    In the house of the spirits, I wander
    cheerless, purposeless, stranger
    in a strange land I used to call home.

    It is hard to be the one left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lament and ode that weeps itself into the heart, and whispers, This is what love and loss and remembrance feel like, bittersweet and never-ending.

    The first and last stanzas, in particular, will stay with me for a long time. They will re-bloom every time I walk by my brother's and grandmother's ashes, when I hear a song he used to love or smell her favorite herb... The love of our dead is kept alive by our living (and remembering).

    I'm enchanted by your seamlessly poem(ing) of titles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heartwrenching and beautiful Rosemary. You are so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the title is perfect.. You weaved your memories through the book titles so effortlessly. Sigh, I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is incredibly beautiful and evocative, Rosemary!💞 This poem will linger with me for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...you rocked this prompt! The titles were just perfectly worked in. Also, technical awesome aside, this really moved me. This piece is the epitome of bitter-sweet. All the sadness of being the last one standing, and all the strength from having been surrounded by so much love is perfectly captured here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful poem Lynda. Sad and ethereal at the same time. I hate to use the word bittersweet but it is. The images of the cats being kittens ad growing old along with the humans brings tears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I apologize Rosemary. I thought this was Linda's piem. That being said, the last stanza is incredible. All the creatures in your house if spirits, waiting for you to come home

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I begin to resurrect you from shadows"... so very moving

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!