We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

25.4.19

Caldera View
















Caldera View

From high in Hidden Valley
sitting on my friend's lookout
I gaze across the mountain.
The trees in the landscape beyond 
merge to become a sea, a blue-green sea 
that rolls to a horizon white with cloud.
The clouds become banks of foam
as the wave of the sky rises high.
We gaze up into the curl of the wave
that pauses before toppling over us
and stays, poised and aloft
unfalling for as long as we watch,
while the peaks of the mountain,
down there, are shoreline rocks.


For day 25 of Poems in April at 'imaginary garden with real toads' we are asked for an imagist poem.

Photo of Mt Warning from Public Domain, photographer unknown. (Same view as from my friend's lookout.)

13 comments:

  1. How gorgeously you describe the view here, Rosemary!! ❤️ I love; "The trees in the landscape beyond merge to become a sea, a blue-green sea that rolls to a horizon white with cloud," they really do!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could be a picture and poem of West Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I think you nailed the mysticism of imagism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never have imagined the rising land as the waves of a sea, but now I look with new eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did exactly as Jung suggested – gazed at it patiently, not trying to jump ahead in my mind, and just allowed it to gradually show me something else.

      Delete
  5. I love how you saw the sea in the land... but yes when watched from above it's exactly like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, you captured the view with words and I could have envisioned it even without the beautiful photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You described the view so well Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your vision of what is portrayed in the photo is so filled with your own imagery that it becomes even more breathtaking than it already is.. lovely write.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!