We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

27.4.19

An image of sheets

An Image of Sheets





















My bunched-up sheets drying across adjoining chairs:
the peaks of the snowy Himalayas.

(I have been in Nepal and seen the Himalayas up close, from a small plane.)


For day 27 of Poems in April at 'imaginary garden with real toads' we are asked for a two-sentence poem like Pound's famous 

In a Station of the Metro
The apparition of these faces in the crowd:
Petals on a wet, black bough.

I always think of that as the ultimate Imagist poem, which explains my title.

14 comments:

  1. Your sheets remind me of flying above the Alps on the way to Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure the sight of the Himalayas must be with you always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, unforgettable. For the last 21 years anyway (smile).

      Delete
  3. I love the combination of the mundane and the divine in this .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I too have seen the Himalayas of Nepal and Alps from a plane. You are right! Just like sheets! 😊❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I was the only one who dries large items this way! Alps in the living room...I think there may be a whole nother poem there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, sheets drying and the Himalayas of Nepal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Covered furniture has always made me think of sleeping ghosts, now the sight will also make me think of snow-covered mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They sure do remind of snowy mountains. I have missed the Himalayas but did fly into and around inside the Mt. St. Helen a few months after it erupted. Smoke was curling from some fissures.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I LOVE this!!!!!! To se those peaks in drying sheets is truly a joy. And to have seen the Himalayas with your own eyes - oh, such wonders!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They do look like snowy mountains! Beautifully done

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love this. It is so wonderful how you could envision the Himalayas in draped sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Björn; excellent juxtaposition of the mundane with the sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these lines of everyday chores, and far away places.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!