We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

22.4.20

In Praise of the Dandelion


In Praise of the Dandelion

"A fresh and vigorous weed, always renewed and renewing, it will cut 
its wondrous way through rubbish and rubble." William Jay Smith


















I love the happy dandelion.
I loved it as a child,
blowing seeds for wishes;
and today I love 
the cheerful yellow faces
all over my lawn.

I hate to have them mown –
only I can’t let the grass
grow long and fill with peril
(snakes or mosquitos).
Why can’t they bloom, welcome, 
in my garden beds instead?

My Dad used to like
cooking and eating the leaves.
Healthy! But to me 
their tang was strong, too bitter.
I’d rather leave them
to feed the bees.

They grow alongside 
clover and daisies:
companionable, mingling.
They have a merriment
and yes, a toughness.
Also they always say Spring.


Image from Pexels: CC0 License Free for personal and commercial use. No attribution required.

In April 2o20, Day 22 at 'imaginary garden with real toads', the archived prompt, Poets of April, asks us to be inspired by lines from one of several poets born in this month.

It's serendipitous that this date is Earth Day, and I'm not only celebrating dandelions but also deciding to nourish bees.

8 comments:

  1. You’re a woman after my own heart, Rosemary, I too love the happy dandelion, and clover and daisies! I agree - they always say Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dandelions RULE! LOL - or they should. Who can't help but smile at a bright yellow sea snugged in the waves of green! And oh, all those wishes to be made and had!

    I'm a huge Dandelion advocate for many reasons - even if it's such an uphill battle against the "perfect manicured lawn" mindset - thankfully though, we have really tough anti-insect/pesticides and weed killer usage laws in my province, so this helps. But they are - dandelions, just lovely. I too thrill at the pulsing sight of them -

    I really like your poem Rosemary - but then, I'm biased. LOL - and like you, I too prefer an wilder yard/grass garden, although I understand about the mosquitoes. Snakes?! I'd be having a cow - probably never step foot outside. (shuddering) ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have to be careful of snakes – but also I rent, so am obliged to keep the lawns mowed.

      Delete
  3. I can't decide whether I love dandelions more or this poem!💝🌳 Gorgeously rendered, Rosemary!😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosemary, you wrote my feelings here, more elegantly than I could.
    Thank you, and thanks to the dandelions, my first and forever love.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right there with you. The sight of of dandelion being slaughtered always leave me baring my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too love dandelions. They remind me to be strong, grow wherever the wind takes you, and bloom in spite of anything or anyone who tries to stop you.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!