We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

3.4.20

In the Time of Coronavirus

In the Time of Coronavirus 

Every other writer
is using that phrase just now —
except for the one 
whose latest post on her blog
is called Journal of the Plague Year.

And my email inbox 
and my facebook feed
carry long-winded explanations
of what COVID-19 means —
the spiritual meaning. You know:
how we’re all going to be better
because of it, how it will wake us up
to A Better Way To Live.

(That’s those who aren’t privy
to the secret [widespread] information
that it’s an evil Chinese plot
aimed straight at America and Trump.)

But what if it just happened?

I remember a friend once
who, asked how she hurt her leg, 
explained, ‘I’ve worked it out. 
I must have been feeling guilty —
I’d snapped at my husband
just that morning — 
and I think I didn’t want 
to walk forward in my life
with all that guilt inside me,
so I probably engineered
subconsciously-on-purpose ...

Her 5-year-old looked up.
‘No,’ he said. ‘You fell.’ 

My friends are dutifully writing 
their journals of introspection,
their poems of disquiet
or of hope.

I’m sitting here in the sun
in my small back yard: 
a glass of wine at my elbow, 
a novel open on my lap.
This morning I did some weeding.
I’ll do some more tomorrow.

A black-and-white butterfly, large, 
dashes over the fence,
swoops in front of my face,
then speeds away out of sight.

I decide not to make 
that 
mean anything.














Written for day 3 of April 2020 poetry month at 'imaginary garden with real toads': Existentialism(To be characterised by: individual experience, sense of isolation, indifferent environment, responsibility for choices made.)

15 comments:

  1. Good for you, Rosemary. Enjoy your own space and avoid all the crazy speculations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some fact in this piece – but the persona is adopted for the poem.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps after all this is over we will have emerged stronger than ever before. Especially love the image of the "black-and-white butterfly." A most evocative write, Rosemary!💘

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well...if that's your attitude you wont be getting any more messages from butterflies,frogs or ladybirds...they all talk you know:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my response to Kerry. (Yes of course I know.)

      Delete
  4. Oh yes...We all want a reason....Just enjoy the beauty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you don't have to make something out of the butterfly's visit but didn't all his friends chuckle when he told them about you! So look out for his mates tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A realistic existentialist poem, Rosemary! I like the question ‘But what if it just happened?’ I’m with you on grabbing the opportunity to sit in the sun and read a novel – weeding and housework can wait, we have time. Love the final stanza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, it's the whole point – but it took the poem a long time to get there.

      Delete
  7. Words of wisdom...
    "I’m sitting here in the sun
    in my small back yard:
    a glass of wine at my elbow,
    a novel open on my lap.
    This morning I did some weeding.
    I’ll do some more tomorrow."

    Let's all just try to be.

    Today I learned unequivocally, I am not a technical guru!!! I've been posting to the Toad prompts for days 1 through 4 and just saw today, how to enter then in the appropriate Mr. Linky! So on that note, I've decided I am catching up on my reading....writing.....knitting....just doing. And I shall not turn to any social networking or news stations and the only part of the newspaper I shall look at and engage with is the crossword. It is a day off. To just be. Thanks for reinforcing that decision! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came across this Peanuts image a few years ago - it features Lucy in her "the doctor is in" office, addressing Charlie Brown. The caption reads: It's takes a long time to understand nothing.

    You're poem here, in some way, makes me smile, much like the comic - because in essence, as the 5 year old said, "no, you fell" .... when we're always so busy trying to engineer meaning, substance, find the logical, the rational, even when we're rather irrational, address our spiritual core, discover it, figure out the meaning of .... life. I think you've walked us through what it means to be living this latest nightmare, in this poem, drawing from the intimacy and folly of what it means to be a(n) (over) thinking creature in this world. Sometimes we just have to learn the hardest lessons of all - how and when to let it go.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!