We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

30.4.20

The Great Silence

The Great Silence

This street of ageing neighbours 
is empty at the best of times. However –

The supermarket delivers (I order
online) the pharmacy too; my doctor 
is available to consult by phone.

The TV news keeps me abreast
of events; Netflix entertains me.

Friends text, or video chat;
poetry readings happen on Zoom;
the family communes by Facetime.

Altogether my life is little changed.
Until the 5G towers go down! 

Some people are glad, but for me
high risk, isolated, living alone …
now I am truly on my own.


No it's not true; they didn't go down. But for Day 30 of April 2020 at 'imaginary garden with real toads' we are are asked to imagine being out of communication with the rest of humanity. In pandemic lockdown, it's not hard to imagine just one more thing that could bring it about. (The poem is supposed to be the person's last words to the world. Given my scenario, perhaps these would have been written in a journal.)

14 comments:

  1. On ones own and all alone. Social media tries to replace the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But a lot of us would be much worse off without it, at a time like this.

      Delete
  2. We don’t have many ‘youngsters’ in our village, a handful if that, and the only traffic that passes through is farm vehicles and the school run, so it’s quiet here too, Rosemary. Your poem is an accurate picture of life these days. I dread power cuts and loss of signal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, how reliant we have all become on the technology.

      Delete
  3. This is heartwrenchingly beautiful and so timely keeping in view the current world situation. Congratulations! It has been an amazing month of Poetry and fellowship at the Garden 🌈🥰 We did it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alone in the woods, I can relate to your words. Thank goodness we do have ways to communicate. The alternative would be doubly sad 🌹❣️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, even a chosen and relished aloneness needs occasional relief – if only to help us appreciate it all the more.

      Delete
  5. Perfect for the times we live in Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From my library window I see so many families walking, riding bikes, jogging...I hope it will continue. I am grateful for all the ways I can reach out. I'm not alone, but I am grateful for being able to communicate with the world from my computer/phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like everything, the technology has it good and bad points. At times like this, we get to see both very clearly.

      Delete
  7. Cannot imagine surviving without 5g! my journal would be manic and not serene like yours :P

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!