We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

19.4.20

The Point is the Light

The Point is the Light

We walk from the temple
after the feast,
down the hill to the car.

Navigating uneven ground, 
I catch a glint between stones: 
black sheen,
and a blue-green inky sliver.

A peacock's chest feather?
The splinter of colour
along its spine
flashes iridescent 
against the surrounding dark.

I turn it this way and that
between finger and thumb —
such a tiny thing —
watching the brightness 
move and spread.

My friend finds another one,
rainbow stripes fanning
wide across the tip.
"They're both yours," she insists.

(Earlier, over dinner,
she helped fend off 
that oaf who tried to hit on me.)


Again, I am asking please for critical feedback on this one. Because it too is from that renga I was part of in 2014, the only items not subject to alteration are the title and last line. (Which, in this instance, pretty much means the whole last verse has to stay.) Apart rom that stipulation – is there anything not working for you, or open to improvement?

Shared via Writers' Pantry #16 at Poets and Storytellers United.


29 comments:

  1. I find it hard to be critical regarding poetry as I'm a storyteller, not a poet. I only know if I like something or not. This is in the 'like' category.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the anecdotal voice in this poem, Rosemary, the setting of the scene and the use of colour. I also like the progression and circularity, signalled by the number of lines in each stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling the hurt that you felt from the encounter she clearly saw the need to give you something beautiful to make you feel better about it. This is what friends are for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fourth stanza reads like a poem all on its own. I love that it took me back (and forward, too) to all those moments when a bit of light (and a friend) means everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that it makes me think of small magics and moments of serendipity and balances it with the bigger magic of having a good friend in your corner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a beautiful journey to a glint of hope. I find the whole poem hopeful and lovely Rosemary. I can find nothing to critique. 🌹

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how the light is evidenced through shimmering colour and the virtues of a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems nature leaves us little notes of hope, of life, to balance the human insults we must navigate any given day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it did have just that feeling, of something not accidental.

      Delete
  9. Luv the way friendship is resonated between the last 2 verses of your renga

    Happy Sunday

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you describe the colors and texture of the feather, rolling it with your fingers. A well described scene (including the oaf).

    ReplyDelete
  11. As an amateur I might should not vote. With all the fuss over the feathers it's like giving the last two candy bar wrappers left in the jar. Useless.
    Of much more worth was her help in getting the oaf away.
    For sure I'm no help, sorry. But thank you for sharing.
    ..
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your opinion is as valuable as anyone else's, dear Jim! And you always have an interesting angle on everything.

      Delete
  12. Love the title--and how your poem captures the joy we derive from small, meaningful things.💜

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would never presume to suggest improvements in another's poetry .... I enjoy reading all of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That in itself is a helpful comment, Helen. I'm glad it's so.

      Delete
  14. I read it over several times and thought that it works well. There is a nice conversational tone throughout … right down to the actual bit of conversation. It hits the mark as s an image poem with 'light' signifying the relationship. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why would I try to pick apart something that works as it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad you think so! And that in itself is a useful piece of information.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!